Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Beer for Breakfast!


It has been far too long since I have blogged. This recipe is not only totally blog worthy but I can’t help myself from sharing its awesomeness with the world. You’re welcome. :)

Amazing Guinness Pancakes
3 cups flour (I used 1 cup whole wheat and 2 cups all-purpose but you could use any combination you feel like)
2 t baking powder
1 t salt
1/8 - 1/4 t nutmeg (A popular northern European spice. I suppose you could try cinnamon if you like.)
1 cup sugar
2 T molasses (I didn't have dark brown sugar on hand. If you have it just use a cup of that and don’t add the molasses)
1/4 cup canola oil (You could use melted butter but that takes effort)
1 t vanilla extract
2 eggs
~1 pint Guinness beer* (I don't know the exact amount. I just added it until the batter was a little thicker than cake batter since I prefer a thicker pancake.)
Directions: 1/4-1/3 cup batter on a hot pan and let it do its pancake-thing with only a flip of assistance from you. I’d finish my instructions with a classic “enjoy” but I know you are already doing that… ;)

*Any leftover Guinness can be either a) chef's perk--drink up me hearty!--or b) poured over a hunk of pork in a crock-pot (along with a dash or two of Worcestershire sauce, a clove of garlic, and a squirt of Dijon mustard) for some spectacular pulled pork. 

Here is a link to a blog where I got the main parts of this recipe. He suggests serving them with Baileys Butter and Whiskey Syrup (you can find the recipes in the blog) for Irish Car Bomb Pancakes.

Love from the wet side,
Mrs. Mommystars

P.S. Watch this video. Because it is awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment