Monday, April 8, 2013

We are in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck on a sticky bun. -Rowan Atkinson

Mmm... Thai sticky rice. Mr. Legendary and I just love the stuff. Forget the rest of the menu, I'll just have the sticky rice with peanut sauce whenever we go to a Thai restaurant. I'd eat the stuff every day if I could go to a Thai restaurant on a daily basis. But, since money doesn't grow on any of the trees in my yard (or apartment complex), I will just have to pine away until our budget allows us to eat out again.

Unless....

I make the stuff at home! Yep! That's right! I can now make restaurant style Thai Sticky Rice with Peanut Sauce right here in my kitchen to enjoy every day I feel like. After trolling the internet looking for how they make their rice in those little baggies--and not finding a thing!-- I decided to figure it out on my own. So how can you enjoy the exotic goodness in your kitchen? Here is how:

Thai Sticky Rice with Peanut Sauce--Restaurant Style!

Ingredients (for one serving)
1/4 cup sweet rice (also called glutinous rice, it is very important to use the correct kind of rice!)
water
(for my simple Peanut Sauce*)
1 tablespoon crunchy peanut butter (we like Skippy)
1 tablespoon sweet teriyaki sauce (we prefer Mr. Yoshida's)
1 tablespoon coconut milk
Saracha Sauce

Instructions
Step 1. Soak the rice for at least 3 hours in warm water. It is best if soaked over night but in a pinch at least 3 hours in warm water will do. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP.

Step 2. Drain rice.

Step 3. Put soaked rice in little plastic baggy with 1 tablespoon of water.


Step 4. Bring water to a soft boil** over medium heat and place either bamboo steamer or dollar store grease splatter screen over pan.

Step 5. Put baggie of rice on steaming surface and pat the rice around so its evenly distributed around the baggy.

Step 6. Cover baggy of rice and cook for 10 minutes.

Step 7. After 10 minutes, flip the baggy of rice over and cook 10 more minutes. (Like a pancake.)



Step 8. Make your peanut sauce by mixing peanut butter, teriyaki sauce, and coconut milk together. Add Seracha sauce until its as spicy as you like. (I used about 1/2 teaspoon for a mild-medium spice.)


Step 9. Remove rice baggy from steamer and let cool. See how the rice looks slightly translucent? That means its fully cooked and ready to eat! If your rice is still raw white-ish looking, it isn't done and will be crunchy if you don't cook it longer.

Step 10. Empty baggy onto plate and serve with peanut sauce. YUM!!!


*There are lots of different recipes for peanut sauce. So far, this is the one we like best. I think it has the optimal balance of salty, sweet, and spicy.

** It is very important to make sure your water is not at a hard boil because the poor little baggy cannot withstand that kind of harsh treatment. It is a gently soul and will melt if over heated!


Love from the wet side,
Mrs. Mommystars

No comments:

Post a Comment